Monday, November 14, 2011

"First World Problem"


A little while ago my friend E posted on facebook “Can’t get the temporary pirate tattoos from last night off... fml.”

To which our mutual friend responded “First World Problem.”

I found this little quote quite humorous, but it has also made me reflect on my everyday challenges, notably my current quest to find my path in life. As children, we are constantly told “you can do anything you want”, which is wonderful, but now that’s it’s truly an option… Well it’s a tad daunting, to say the least. I can live where I want, date and marry who I want, do I want, spend my time the way I want… But what on earth do I want?

What a problem.

There are of course the lucky few who have always known themselves, always known what they hoped to do.  A friend of mine, for example, needed to write what he wanted to be when he grew up in his fifth grade yearbook. Amidst the usual responses of astronaut, inventor, professional football player, he answered “engineer”. And now, at 25 years of age, he’s living the dream: an engineer. Oh, to have such clarity (not to mention remotely know that such a career exists at the age of ten). 

However, for the many others I’ve read about and talked to, paths are not always so clear; it’s in fact fairly common. So I’ve decided not to be so hard on myself. Many people go through this, but time (so they tell me) can be a great help.

At the same time, thinking of my friend’s little joke, she reminds me not to take such a “dilemma” so seriously. Appreciate all that I do have, and enjoy this time in my life.